Topic 2: General qualification outline
As mentioned previously, you would pursue a variety of other courses along side your psychology-related courses. In terms of the psychology related courses, you would generally do 2 psychology courses per semester over a period of 3 years.
The minimum requirements for registration with the Health Professions Council of South Africa are as follows:
- 5 Years full-time formal education in psychology, i.e.
- A three year Bachelor’s degree majoring in psychology or equivalent thereof, plus
- An Honours degree in psychology, plus
- A directed Master’s degree programme in psychology approved by the HPCSA; and
- Successful completion of a full-time approved internship of 12 months duration; and
- Successful completion of the National Examination of the Professional Board for Psychology in the relevant registration category.