You may be wondering how you will be able to survive the matric year and the exam season itself. Shirley has some tips and advice on how to prepare to pass matric – like a boss.
The year might have just started, but having a game plan for making it through matric is important. You will need to prep hard and eventually tackle the final exams. Before you can achieve your matric certificate, you will need to pass these. Remember to keep working as hard as you can and stay focused. It is important to do the following:
- Concentrate in class and stay focused on the end goal – to pass your exams.
- Take notes in every class and talk to your teacher if you don’t understand a concept.
- Summarise the notes that you took in class in the evenings when you have completed your homework.
- Use these summarised notes to study off of during exams.
Make Your Holiday Work For You
It may be tempting to use your holiday to forget about school. Yet using your holiday to start studying can be one of the most important choices you will make. This can contribute towards you finishing matric exams! Let’s face it, you probably have some spare time in the holiday, when you’re not at the beach or grabbing coffee with friends. These spare moments are perfect for revising a subject to make sure that you’re prepared for exams.
So what should you be doing during this time?
- Draw up a study plan – Don’t worry, we’ve got your back. Let us show you how.
- Stick to the study plan – This is key. When you plan your time, you will see how easy it is to be productive and have fun.
- Plan study sessions with your friends – Organising a time to work and see your friends will make the process of revising much easier and more fun. This way, you can go over any sections you might be missing in your notes and be sure that you understand key concepts.
- Make sure that you know exactly when your exams are and how long you have to prepare for them – By organising your calendar during the holiday, you have plenty of time to prepare yourself for the hectic term ahead.
Related infographic: Matric Exam Study Planner
Studying for Matric Exams
As the matric exams approach, stress levels may begin to rise. So how can you combat the panic that comes with the countdown to those final exams? Giving up is not the solution. So how else can you lower stress levels and be sure that you are on the right track to excel in each exam? Well, here are some proven methods that will help you to stay focused and be better prepared for final exams.
1. Stop Cramming
The fact is, you’re not going to absorb any more information by tiring yourself out before exams even start. This is why it is important to manage your time and make sure you set aside enough study time for each exam.
2. Don’t Hibernate
Remember to get out for some fresh air and exercise. This is what will help you stay focused when you are studying rather than staring out the window, longing for a walk. Go out and take your pet for a stroll or just drink a cup of tea on the grass when you take a study break.
3. Stay away from the sugary energy drinks
It’s important to fuel your brain and your body with good food and lots of water. Instead of downing five cans of Red Bull a day, drink green tea and water. These are much healthier alternatives that keep you focused without the major caffeine and sugar crash.
4. Stick to healthy foods and snacks
Rather than reaching for a chocolate when you need a snack, why not grab an apple? An apple will help to sustain your energy levels and keep you focused because it does not give you a giant sugar rush.
5. Minimise your distractions
If you know you will be distracted by Snapchat, Facebook and Whatsapp while you’re supposed to be studying, consider turning your phone off while you study. This way, you are not tempted to keep checking social media whenever your mind wanders. It is up to you to remove any distractions and it’s worth the sacrifice when you pass your exams. Put in the work. Read through your work. Make sure you check out the matric past exam papers and test yourself using these. This is really useful when studying maths or maths lit.
Exams have started and you need to make sure you stay focused. How can you manage your time and not become overwhelmed by exam stress?
- Go to bed – Yeah you read right. Don’t study all night. Make sure you are getting at least eight hours of sleep at night. This will ensure that you don’t fall asleep during the exam and you have the energy to remember everything you studied.
- Eat a healthy breakfast – This will ensure your brain has fuel to write your exam, without being distracted by a grumbling tummy. On the morning of your exam, make yourself a bowl of oats or porridge with fruit and seeds to keep you full until you have completed your exam.
- Take a breather – Make sure that you read through your exam paper carefully and understand what is expected of you. Take your time, don’t try rush through your exam to finish early, rather, pace yourself and work methodically through the exam.
- Bring backups – Pack tissues, a spare pen or pencil and a bottle of water to bring with to your exam. It is important to be prepared for anything.
- Celebrate your achievements – Even if you are unsure about how the exam went, make sure you celebrate having completed your exam. This could be by treating yourself to your favourite movie or a cupcake. It is important to be kind to yourself.
Passing Matric is a culmination of a few years of hard work, not merely a few weeks of cramming. Make sure you are prepared, both mentally and physically, to write exams. Preparation requires asking for help if you are struggling and putting in the work needed to do well in your exams. We know you can do this!