If you have architectural insight, spatial creativity, and project management skills then a career as an Interior Designer could be for you.
An Interior Designer will design, structure and create aesthetically pleasing and safe interior environments. Every detail, from the colour of a room to the texture and print of the couch, cushions, wallpaper and carpet is all considered and placed by an Interior Designer.
You will need to have taken the following subjects at high school:
- Pure Mathematics
- Art or Design
- Technical Drawing
The following institutions are highly recommended for tertiary studies:
- University of Witwatersrand (WITS): APS of 34+
- University of Johannesburg (UJ): APS of 24 (minimum)
- University of Pretoria (UP): APS of 30
- Cape Peninsula University of Technology (CPUT): APS of 30
- Tshwane University of Technology (TUT): APS of 18+
- Central University of Technology (CUT): APS of 27 (minimum)
A degree in Interior Design or architectural design is necessary to be a professional in this particular industry. You could look into degrees in architecture, 3D design and interior or spatial design.
You will need to have the following skills to succeed as an Interior Designer:
- Attention to detail
- Able to negotiate and manage projects and clients professionally
- Good communications skills (written and verbal)
- Able to work with others in a group setting, and with your clients
- Business management and marketing skills
- Ability to draw and envision
- Spacial and industry awareness
- Knowledge of building and safety regulations
- Problem solving skills
There are a few environments that you could find yourself in as an Interior Designer. Some of these places of work include:
- Private clients
- Film and TV production companies (set design)
- Construction and other commercial companies
- Commercial companies or construction companies
- Freelance, part time work is possible as an Interior Designer
It is possible to freelance and work part time, or according to your own personal client basis. However, if you are employed by someone you may need to work beyond the usual 8 hours daily during the week. You would be part of a project that may require your professional attention after hours.
The average salary per year as an Interior Designer, in South Africa, is around R175 384 with an hourly rate of about R166.
Here are a few things you can expect from a career as an Interior Designer:
- Expect to work with a lot of unique people with vastly different design ideas. Managing people well and with a good attitude will be a really awesome skill to hone in on.
- Keep up to date with the latest news in Interior Design, or general design spaces in your country.
- To have a high energy level and persistence in what you do.
- Sticking to deadlines and managing proposals, projects and meetings with clients.
- You will need to manage suppliers and you’ll need to have a good knowledge of where you can source certain fabrics, textures, decor, paints, etc.