If you have great interpersonal skills, you’re organised and enjoy helping people, a career as a Human Resource Manager could be for you.
In this profile:
As a Human Resources Manager, you will implement and interpret all company policies, when it comes to staffing, employment, payroll or other issues relating to employees and bosses. You would essentially manage how staff members are used according to their skills and abilities within a company framework, in such a way that the company gets the best out of employees and the employees are looked after well.
Required School Subjects
You will need to have taken the following subjects at high school:
- English (Home Language or First Additional Language)
- Pure Mathemtaics
- Business Studies
Recommended Institutions and APS
The following institutions are highly recommended for further studies:
Calculate your own APS Below
In order to become a qualified Human Resources Manager in South Africa, you will need a diploma or degree in a relevant field of study. Studying organisational psychology, human resources development or industrial psychology would be a good bet.
You will need to have the following skills to succeed as a Human Resource Manager:
- an ability to work with people
- strategic thinking
- able to understand and regulate company rules and policies
- developmental and communication skills
- problem solving
- time management
- interpersonal skills
- ability to make a difference
- negotiating skills
- disciplinary skills
- good with numbers and finance
Where can you work
As a Human Resource Manager, you will be able to work in one of the following areas:
- Private companies, big or small
- Government, public offices
- Charities and the like (NGO, NPO etc.)
- Corporate companies worldwide
Regular working hours would be between 40 – 45 hours per week and sometimes Human Reseource Managers would be required to work shifts or overtime depending on the company you work for.
The average salary per year in South Africa as a Human Resource Manager is around R408 895 and an hourly rate of about R150, according to PayScale.
What to Expect
Here are a few things you can expect from a career as a Human Resource Manager:
- Expect to work with other people and to have an understanding of how to communicate regulations clearly.
- Expect to learn and understand different sets of company regulations with regards to staffing, employment contracts, company agreements and the way things are run.
- Expect to hold staff members accountable to their contracts and manage disciplinary action if needed.
- Expect to work with other people and be subject to management and others in authority around you.
- Expect to manage finances to some degree depending on the place you work in.