If you have an interest in travel and tourism, enjoy probelm-solving, can work in a team and communicate well then a career as a Hotel Manager could be for you.
In this profile:
Hotel Managers are the fairies and elves that make our stay at many hotels or travel accommodation establishments a pleasant one. They see to maintaining the standard that will keep clients coming back for more. Hotel Managers see to everything that makes a guest’s stay more than memorable. They manage a group of people that work to provide excellent customer service for the hotel’s guests. They are very involved in the daily operations of the hotel, the human resources side of things as well as financial aspects of the hotel.
Required School Subjects
You will need to have taken the following subjects at high school:
- Mathematics/Mathematical Literacy
- Business Studies
Calculate your own APS Below
A Bachelor’s Degree/Higher National Diploma in Hospitality Management, are the minimum required obtaining a job. Universities and colleges both offer fantastic programmes to individuals who are interested in Hotel Management.
The following are some key skills that help to make for a successful Hotel Manager:
- Excellent communication skills
- Operational Knowledge
- Business Interest and Awareness
- Team Building
- Interpersonal skills
- Financial Management skills
- Detail Oriented
Where can you work
Opportunities are many, thanks to the career being part of the travel and tourism industry. Vacancies are available nationally and internationally, allowing for rapid and extensive growth. Some possible vacancies include:
- Multinational chain Hotels
- Travel lodges
- Bed and Breakfast Accommodation
- Guest houses
- Residential and country clubs
- Small family owned hotels
Hotel Managers work very irregular hours due to the fact that hotels are 24/7 establishments. Work days can easily include weekends and holidays, which makes for little to no spare time. In some cases, Hotel Managers are offered free accommodation at the hotel.
The current estimated salary for a Hotel Manager ranges between R42 000 and R550 000 – with the average being R186 4061. The salary package is influenced by years of experience, the hotel size and class, location of the hotel and the employee’s performance.
What to Expect
Here are a few things you can expect from a career as a Hotel Manager:
- Work hours differ greatly and can sometime lead to burning the midnight oil. However, Hotel Managers are generally offered free on-site accommodation as an incentive. This has proven to be helpful in cases of emergency.
- The job can is physically and mentally challenging but people who are passionate about it have found it to be truly fulfilling.