If you have a love for numbers and are an accountable person then a job as a Bank Teller may just best suit you.
The role of a Bank Teller is to accurately process routine transactions at a bank branch. Cashing checks, depositing money, collecting loan payments and processing withdrawals are included in their daily transactions. They also assist with various other administrative needs required by customers that may include international affairs. It is imperative that they are aware of and observe all ethical requirements that include serious confidentiality.
You will need to have taken the following subjects at high school:
- Pure Mathematics
It is not imperative to have formal training to become a bank teller however certain banks do offer Bank Teller courses in order to provide basic skills to work in the specific bank. Studies in the fields of Banking, Accounting and Commerce are recommended.
- Stellenbosch University – APS of 390+
- University of Cape Town (UCT) – Faculty Points Score (FPS) of 480+
In order to qualify as a Bank Teller, you will need to have a formal qualification:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Math or Business.
You will need to have the following skills to succeed as a Bank Teller:
- Good Communication
- Attention to detail
- Basic numeracy skills
- Good administrative skills
There are various banks across the country that interested individuals can contact directly for available job vacancies and trainings.
Working hours often align with bank operating hours that are usually 9am -15:30pm during the week and 9am-11am over weekends. Employees may however be required to arrive slightly earlier and leave slightly later to consolidate all tasks from the day.
On average Bank Tellers earn up to R155 000 per year in South Africa.
Here are a few things you can expect from a career as a Bank Teller:
- This job requires you to engage and interact with people constantly and it is important to remember to provide the best customer service as possible, even if you’re tired or not in the best mood or customers are rude or impatient. Keep your cool, be quick and you’ll be okay