You’ll find a breakdown of how to apply to the University of Kwa-Zulu Natal (UKZN) below. We’ve got instructions on the online application process AND the hardcopy application. Tertiary education is just a few steps away! Ready to start applying? Let’s go.
UKZN Application Breakdown
Note: Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible in the application cycle. Applications close at the end of June for all medical programmes and at the end of September for all other programmes. If you’re applying for second semester studies, applications close at the end of April. Late applications may be accepted if entrance requirements are met and there is still space available.
Before you begin applying online or in hardcopy, have a look at our infographic on Things to Remember Before Applying.
Have you calculated your APS? You’ll need to do this before applying. Find out how here.
Apply to UKZN using the online application
Things to note before applying online to UKZN:
- You’ll need an email address to complete the application. Don’t have one? Get an email address first.
- South African applicants will need an ID number. Foreign applicants will need their passport number.
- Need accommodation? You will be able to indicate this on the application form.
- The UKZN application process makes use of the Central Applications Office (CAO). You will need to submit your application through this portal.
- Make sure your documents are ready to upload before starting the application process.
- Please note that if you are an international student, you will need to apply directly to the university. Also, only international students from SADC countries will be permitted to apply for medicine.
How to apply online
UKZN has an online application portal for all applicants. It is important that you apply using the correct application portal through the CAO.
Apply to UKZN using the hardcopy application
Things to note before applying with a hardcopy form:
- You will need to pay the application fee and attach a copy of the deposit slip.
- International Students will have additional sections to complete.
- There are two separate application forms for undergraduate and postgraduate applicants.
- Need accommodation? You will be able to indicate if you need student accommodation on your application form.
You can send your completed application form to the following address:
University of KwaZulu-Natal
Applications and Information Office
Apply to UKZN residence
You will be able to indicate whether you would like student accommodation on your application form. Please note that applying for student housing is part of your academic application process. There is no separate application necessary.
Application fees for UKZN
South African applicants will need to pay a non-refundable application fee of R240. International applicants will need to pay a fee of R300.
A late application fee of R465 will need to be paid by South African applicants while a R575 late application fee will need to be paid by international students.
Submitting of results and documents
Here are the basics: you will need to submit a copy of your latest academic results as soon as possible. Failure to submit these results might delay your application process.
Are you a transferring student? If yes, you will need to make sure all your transcripts and academic records to date are submitted to the applications department as soon as possible. This is pretty important.
UKZN may make conditional offers based on excellent grade 11 marks or latest academic results. Once the institution has received final grade 12 marks, they will make all final offers. The CAO will send applicants an offer via SMS.
Contact the University of Kwa-Zulu Natal:
For more information on how to apply to UKZN, you can visit their website.
Alternatively, you can contact the UKZN Admissions Department using the following details:
Tel: (031) 260 8596